Reading time: 1 min

A incredible and great effort is done by everyone to restore Funchal and the rest of the island back to what it was. However I think we should also focus our attention to all the victims and those who lost their lives.

Since the authorities objective is to make sure that the Flower Festival will take place this year …. I would suggest to dedicate the 2010 festival to all victims of 20-2.

Also to honor all the rescue teams, police, firemen, army, navy, emergency personnel, civilian workers and all others who helped to restore the areas affected by flooding. The real Heroes of Madeira. Honoring all of them in this year Flower Festival.

What do you think?

As I am only an individual … I am not the one that makes the decisions … but I hope that someone can take this suggestion to make it happen.

Post/share the article on your favorite social media channel and comment there:

9 Comments

Teresa Sousa · February 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Its a wonderful idea, already tweeted it.

Matthijs Does · February 25, 2010 at 9:44 pm

as a firemen I can say that this is a wunderful suggestion wich offcourse I support and already placed this messages on our intranet. My admiration go’s to all off them that reacted so quickly on the situation.

NORMA MARTINS BUTNER · February 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm

My heart and prayers go out to all the people of Madeira. Ny Father was born on your beautiful Island in 01-10-1915 in the village of Ponta Delgada. Is there any news from Ponta Delgada? How can a
daughter of a “Son of Madeira” offer help to your beautiful Island? God bless all of you.

Editor · February 25, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Gil Santos · February 26, 2010 at 2:28 am

Though the idea is good it may make the Flower Festival a sad reminder of this tragedy. Perhaps a diferent type of event to honour all these heroes. Maybe a Heroes Day should be declared every 20th February

To answer Norma Martins, Ponta Delgada and the North Coast of Madeira, from what I understand were not affected by this storm. It was the South Coast that was heavily hit by it
Gil Santos

Editor · February 26, 2010 at 11:42 am

@Gil: You are right, but on the other side upcoming Flower Festival is too close and having festivities by then can give (as we say) “a bitter taste” for those who are visiting the island. Therefore by dedicating the festival to the victims and helpers would give the right signal.

Don’t forget that the whole world have seen how New York mourned their 9-11 victims. I think the world is now waiting for a similar signal from Madeira … the 20-2 victims. 1, 29, 40, 42 or more (deaths) … the number does not matter … what matters is that there are victims. It is sad, … but we need to show the world that we care … from now on.

Your idea to declare a Heroes Day is a good one. Lets see what the authorities are going to do …

Gil Santos · February 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I may be very wrong, but I doubt the authorities will have the Flower Festival show any dedication towards this tragic event. We can see from the news that they are trying their utmost to put this tragedy behind them so as not to affect the tourist industry. So a reminder so soon after will probably not be in their minds, though I must admit that its a comendable idea.

Gil Santos

Martin Wheatley · February 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm

As a recent visitor to the island I believe that there should be a memorial to the victims of the disaster.

I fear that the authorities will want to brush it under the carpet and pretend it never happened so to ‘protect’ the tourist trade. This is silly of course, as things will return to normal quickly and visitors will still come to the island. After the far worse disaster in Thailand in 2004 tourists quickly returned to the beaches.

However, visitors and locals will want to pay respects to the people who died and of course they must not be forgotten. For the authorities not to show any dedication during the Flower Festival will be very odd indeed. As a foreign visitor to the island I would absolutely expect them to do something during the festival and then erect a permanent memorial later.

If there was no memorial or mention during the festival I would think that callous and uncaring, brushing it under the carpet. That will shock visitors and will leave a bad taste in the mouth for many, I am sure.

The festival must be dedicated to the victims and honour all the rescue teams involved, many of who will still be traumatised by what they experienced.

anne-marie monk · February 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm

As a frequent visitor to your beautiful island I feel the tragic loss of so many of your population and the dedicated work of all those involved in the aftermath should be remembered in a special memorial day on the 20th February where people can remember their dead and mourn their friends and families in a public demonstration of remembrance and sorrow for the events of 2010.

Regards